For more information on Southwest Tennessee, please visit www.visitswtenn.com.
Please confirm dates and hours of operation before traveling long distance.
342 Pusser Street, P.O. Box 301, Adamsville, TN 38310;(731) 632-4080 or (731) 632-1401; Fax: (731) 632-4085; E-mail: email@example.com; Website: www.bufordpussermuseum.com
Suburban home of the late Buford Pusser, McNairy County’s world famous sheriff featured in the “Walking Tall” movies and television series. Site contains cars, original furnishings, a short video presentation, and a host of memorabilia depicting the life of Sheriff Pusser from childhood through his famed law enforcement career. Open Nov 1-April 30: Mon.-Fri. 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun. 1-4 p.m.; May 1-Oct 31: Mon.-Fri. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. 1-5 p.m. Admission.
Coon Creek Science Center
2985 Hardin Graveyard Rd.; Adamsville, TN 38310; (901) 639-2362; Fax (731) 632-4850; For more information, call (901) 320-6320. For reservations, call (901) 320-6362
Just imagine! Clams, snails, crabs, sharks, and giant mosasaurs living in Tennessee! That would be the scene approximately 70 million years ago in what is now West Tennessee as the ancient Gulf of Mexico covered the land. How do we know? A visit to Coon Creek Science Center will help answer this question. One of the most important fossil sites in North America. Acquired by the Memphis Museum System in 1988, this property contains a treasure lode of superbly preserved Upper Cretaceous marine shells and vertebrate remains left there 70 million years ago when the water of the Gulf of Mexico receded. Coon Creek Science Center is solely operated and maintained by Memphis Museums, Inc. Visits to the center are limited to organized groups.
637 Conley Road, Alamo, TN 38001; (731) 697-7360; Website: www.tennesseesafaripark.com
Located just off Hwy. 412 approximately 16 miles from I-40 Exit 79, Tennessee Safari Park is West Tennessee’s newest attraction with 100 acres that are home to over 300 animals including more than 60 species of exotic animals found in Africa. Open Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun. 12 p.m. – last car at 4:30 p.m.
Hwy 412, Bells, TN 38006; (731) 663-3319; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.greenfrogtn.org
Located 14 miles west of Jackson. Beginning in 1991 with a donated country store with an 1840-era log house, Green Frog has grown to include all the elements of a rural southern village. From the simple pioneer homestead to a country church and blacksmith’s shop, you can enjoy West Tennessee history in a beautiful pastoral setting. Stroll the scenic grounds in the shade of 75 varieties of trees that comprise the Louise Pearson Memorial Arboretum. Marvel at the awesome machinery of a 1915 four-stand Continental gin that is the centerpiece of the Cotton Museum of the South. Guided tours available with advance notice. Look for seasonal flavors featuring blackberries and blueberries grown on the family farm. Refresh at TNQ BarBQue with some of the best barbeque and other treats. Create memories by hosting your special occasion in the lovingly restored May Chapel and banquet hall. Spend a special day or two in the new log cabin bed and breakfast. Green Frog is the perfect place for weddings, reunions, and meetings.
29 North Bells Street, Alamo, TN 38001; (731) 696-5120;Fax: (731) 696-4855; E-mail: email@example.com; Website: www.crockettchamber.com
A non-profit voluntary organization of business and professional people, working together to build a healthy economy and improve the quality of life in the community. Evidence of the Chamber’s work can be seen everywhere in the County. The annual Business Expo, one of the best trade shows in West Tennessee, is attended by over 2,000 people each year in March. With its annual Cruise in Crockett Auto, Motorcycle & Tractor Show held in September, the Chamber provides an enjoyable event for our enthusiast as well as entertainment and games/activities for the entire family. The Chamber also assists with the West Tennessee Cotton Festival (Aug.), Green Frog Pioneer Village Family Fall Festival (Sept.) and the Bells Fall Fest (Oct.). Visit the Chamber to learn more about Crockett County, a unique place with a different pace.
Court Square, Bolivar, TN; Hardeman Co. Chamber,P.O. Box 313, Bolivar, TN 38008; (731) 658-6554; Website: www.hardemancountychamber.org
The centerpieces of historic Hardeman County are its courthouses. Its first, built in 1824, is the earliest surviving courthouse in West Tennessee and now serves as the Little Courthouse Museum. The second, burned by Union forces in 1864, was replaced in 1868 by the current Italianate style courthouse.
Hardeman County Chapter, Association for Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities, Hardeman County Chamber,P.O. Box 313, Bolivar, TN 38008; (731) 658-6554;Web Site: www.hardemancountychamber.org
Bolivar is graced with three distinct historic districts. The North Main District contains more than 20 homes ranging in dates from the 1840s to the 1940s representing many architectural styles. Court Square District includes the 1868 Courthouse, as well as one of the only three log courthouses left in the U. S.; Bills-McNeal Historic District contains several outstanding antebellum mansions. Special arrangements for groups welcomed.
The Dunbar Carver Alumni Museum and Cultural Center
709 East Jefferson Street; Brownsville, TN 38012; 731-772-8719 or 731-772-6088
The Dunbar Carver Alumni Museum and Cultural Center is the only museum of its kind in West Tennessee. The museum is committed to telling the story of African Americans as actors, creators, and planners versus reactors to their environment. The museum focuses heavily on the strengths of the African American community as a people who were legally disenfranchised and social, psychologically and physically abused and its effect for generations. Hours are 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Private tours are available by calling 731-772-8719 or 731-772-6088. Admission to the museum is free, but donations are accepted. More information about Dunbar – Carver schools and alumni are available at:www.dunbarcarveralumni.com.
I-40 Exit 56, 121 Sunny Hill Cove (behind McDonalds), Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 779-9000; Fax: (731) 779-9001; Website: www.westtnheritage.com
An Authentic Southern Experience! Celebrate the music, cotton and beauty of the Tennessee Delta. Located conveniently between Memphis and Nashville just off of Interstate 40 at Exit 56, and features the home of Blue pioneer “Sleepy” John Estes and Flagg Grove School, the childhood school of Tina Turner. More than 8,000 square feet of exhibit space including 3 fresh water aquariums with native fish and other animals found in the Tennessee Delta. Other exhibits include Cotton, the Scenic Hatchie River, West Tennessee Music and a unique Lincoln Collection. Browse the gift shop filled with local and regional handmade items. Open Monday – Saturday, 9-5; Sunday 1-5. Free Admission.
Sleepy John Estes’ Home
121 Sunny Hill Cove, Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 772-2193
Home of one of the world’s most famous blues musicians that has been partially reconstructed on site at the West Tennessee Delta Heritage Center and filled with photographs and momentos of Sleepy John and Brownsville blues men Yank Rachell and Hammie Nixon, who performed with Sleepy John Estes.
1 Mindfield Alley, Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 772-2193; Fax: (731) 772-2195;E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.haywoodcountybrownsville.com
A 75-foot steel sculpture created by Brownsville artist Billy Tripp. A work in progress full of symbols about life. Free admission.
P. O. Box 575, 127 N. Grand Ave., Brownsville, TN 38012;(731) 772-4883; Website: www.haywoodcountybrownsville.com
Built as Brownsville Baptist Female College in 1851, 1911 to 1970 as Haywood County High School, then renovated and re-opened in 1990 as the College Hill Center and houses several museums and a meeting/reception room. The Haywood County Museum traces the heritage and history of the county and its people, beginning with the Indian period and proceeding to the present traveling through eight 25-year segments which display artifacts, documents, photographs and memorabilia of days gone by. Of special note is a display of uniforms from The War Between the States, Spanish-American War, World War I and II, Korean, Vietnam and Desert Storm conflicts and a sports room dedicated to teams and individuals who have achieved local, state and national recognition. The Abraham Lincoln Collection was a two-generation project of the late Morton Felsenthal and his father, which was left to the citizens of Haywood County in 1982 at Felsenthal’s death. Free admission. Open Mon., Wed., Thurs., Fri. from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun. 1-5 p.m.
Brownsville-Haywood County Chamber of Commerce,121 W. Main, Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 772-2193;Fax: (731) 772-2195; E-Mail: email@example.com; Website: www.haywoodcountybrownsville.com
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, this site contains 50 homes and churches along with the College Hill Center. A walking/driving tour tape or CD is available from the Chamber of Commerce.
Camden, TN; (731) 584-7880, Reservations: (800) 225-7469; Website: www.BirdsongResort.com, www.TennesseeRiverPearls.com
Birdsong Resort, Marina and Lakeside RV Campground is a 58-acre recreational complex lakeside of the scenic Tennessee River’s beautiful Kentucky Lake. Facilities include a 140-covered-slip marina with ship’s store; 65’ x 65’ concrete & lighted launching ramp; boat sales and on-duty factory-trained mechanic; 14 full-housekeeping rental accommodations; concrete RV pads with full-hookups; dump station; grassy area for primitive tent camping; 25’ x 45’ swimming pool; 500-seat open air pavilion with kitchen facilities and showers; recreation/game area; “Pearl of a Tour” featuring the freshwater pearl jewelry showroom, farm, museum and guided tour. The tour consists of a 3-5 hour excursion to the freshwater pearl farm, a visit with a diver, catered shore lunch, and trek to Nathan Bedford State Park’s River Folklife Museum. Tour requires reservations, operates April-November; Resort, Marina and Campground business office hours are Mon.-Sat. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sun. 1-4 p.m.; Marina Ship’s Store, camping and cottage registration open 7 days a week from 6 a.m.-6 p.m.
Carroll Cabin Barrens
A 200-acre natural area located near the Tennessee River in Decatur County, previously owned by Weyerhaeuser Company and designated as a natural area in 2002. Carroll Cabin Barrens is a series of dramatic Silurian aged limestone glades and barrens. Directions: From Interstate 40, exit at U.S. Hwy 69/641 (exit #126). Continue south through Parsons (crossing Hwy 412) and Decaturville (crossing Hwy 100). From the 4-way stop at Hwy 100, go approximately 11 miles. Turn left on Bob’s Landing Road and continue for about 1.5 miles then turn right on Smith Gravel Pit Road. The natural area is on the right hand side of the road after the first curve to the left. For more info or directions, call (731) 847-4202.
Located on Old Furnace Road, a quiet, abandoned rural road, surrounded by the beauties of nature about 13 miles southeast of Decaturville stands the ruins of the Brownsport Furnace, located in an area known as “The Old Coaling”. The furnace was a prosperous industry between 1846 and 1878. Brownsport Furnace, was the first hot-blast furnace built in the State of Tennessee, and was for many years one of the largest furnaces in the State. The furnace was used for melting iron ore, the most valuable mineral in Decatur and adjoining counties of Hardin, Wayne, and Henderson. The Brownsport Furnace Park offers an interpretive of an old Pig Iron smelting furnace. The park is also host to Decatur County Saddle Club Trail rides and other public use. For more info or directions, call (731) 847-4202.
505 W. Hwy. 57, P.O. Box 774, Grand Junction, TN 38039; (731) 764-2058; Fax: (731) 764-3004; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.birddogfoundation.com
Recognizing over 40 breeds of pointing dogs, retrievers, and flushing dogs, this museum features numerous exhibits, sporting dog art, wildlife murals, artifacts, historical objects, a collection of game birds and wildlife specimens, gift shop and more. Open Tues.-Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
100 Veterans’ Drive, Halls, TN 38040; (731) 836-7400; E-mail: email@example.com; Website: www.dyaab.us
Located off I-40 Exit 79, this 8,900 sq.ft. museum is located on the site of the former WWII B-17 Training Facility known as THE DYERSBURG ARMY AIR BASE, which was operational from 1942 through 1945. The location itself is a rich and unforgettable piece of history, but the Museum demonstrates how the facility affected the daily lives of those who lived in the area as well as its military history. In addition to complete WWI and WWII exhibits, displays on Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm are under development. Military vehicles, uniforms, videos, and individual tours will give all generations an opportunity to look at history personally. Three murals that were painted on the base by Ernie Berke provide a look at other aspects of base life. Additional WWII art is also on exhibit. Includes a gift shop, area lending library, research library, and archives. Average tour time is 2 hours. Open 2-5 p.m. Sat-Tues. and by appointment. Donations accepted.
375 Oak Grove Lane, Henderson, TN 38340; (731) 989-4251; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.stillwaters-tn.com
Located in the heart of West TN, Stillwaters Farm provides guests with an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. As a growing agri-tourism enterprise, Stillwaters Farm is first and foremost an exhibition farm where animals of many different varieties reside. Because these gentle creatures are approachable even by the youngest guests, they are wonderful teaching tools during private tours and field trips. Secondly, the educational aspects of the farm can be combined with a “farm stay” at The Cottage at Stillwaters. While available for rent year-round, the cottage, in its eclectic turn-of-the-century style, invites guests to rest and relax while learning about farm life. Beautiful perennial butterfly gardens, rose gardens, and vegetable gardens are kept to provide guests with more opportunities to learn. Visitors are also invited to take a tour, get to know the residents – the donkeys and dogs, miniature horses, APHA Paint horses, miniature cows, sheep, and other interesting creatures – jump right into daily activities, if they are so inclined. Finally, Stillwaters Farm is a working hay farm and nature preserve. As a result, deer, turkey, birds of all kinds, an occasional red fox, and coyote are plentiful. Guests are encouraged to bring their cameras and field guide books along for unexpected photo opportunities that happen each and every day. All activities are by appointment.
West Tennessee Strawberry Festival/Historical Museum
1200 Main Street, Humboldt, TN 38343; (731) 784-7770;Fax: (731) 784-1573; E-mail: email@example.com
Housed in a restored 1912 building formerly City Hall, this museum contains memorabilia from the longest continuously running festival in the South – the West Tennessee Strawberry Festival. A variety of displays evoke memories of past festivals, including band and majorette uniforms, pageant gowns, posters, magazines, and photographs. The Historical Museum contains photographs and items from Humboldt businesses, military uniforms, medals and weaponry, post office and bank documents, telegraph equipment, and many more items from Humboldt’s past. The building includes the original jail and police exhibit. Art center is upstairs. No admission charge, tour and school groups welcome. M-W-F 9 a.m.-4 p.m. or by appointment. Closed on Holidays. Handicapped accessible.
1200 Main Street, Humboldt, TN 38343; (731) 784-1787; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web Site: www.wtrac.tn.org
Opened in 1994 in Humboldt’s restored former City Hall building, the West Tennessee Regional Art Center takes pride in being Tennessee’s only permanent fine arts museum between Nashville and Memphis. The original collection was donated by Dr. Benjamin and Gertrude Caldwell for the purpose of cultural education for people of all ages throughout West Tennessee. Oil paintings, sculpture, watercolor paintings, drawings, prints and lithographs, pastels, and silk-screens comprise the Caldwell Collection. Marge and Dr. William Ewers, also of Nashville, have donated their collection, art gathered from around the world. Ms. Lois Currie has also donated her Boehms Birds collection, one enjoyed by people of all ages. The Downstairs Galleries provide a changing showcase for works by regional artists. In addition, WTRAC offers guided tours and hands-on art activities for children. Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. There is no admission fee but contributions are appreciated to support the future of the Center.
Corner of 9th. Ave and Vine Street in the historic Crossing area of Humboldt, TN; Contact: Jerry Marable (731) 424-5249 or (731) 225-3269; Website: www.stigallmuseum.org
Mission Statement: To develop the recognition of the Tom & O. E. Stigall Ethnic Library and History Museum as a representation of art and historical artifacts. To provide opportunity for artists to create, and for people of all ages to share in gratification of that creation. The museum will be a focal point for the social and educational life in our community and surrounding areas. To display historical items of our community and culture (paintings, drawings, other artifacts and written information). To develop an appreciation and an understanding of heritage. Open Thurs., Fri. and Sat. 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
1200 Main Street, Humboldt, TN 38343; (731) 784-1842; Fax: (731) 784-1573; E-Mail: email@example.com; Website: www.humboldttnchamber.org
For over 100 years, the Humboldt Chamber of Commerce has served the citizens and businesses of Humboldt with dedication and leadership in economic growth and community development. Since 1934, the Chamber has coordinated the West Tennessee Strawberry Festival (www.wtsf.org), one of the premier attractions in Tennessee each spring, held the first full week in May. In addition to the Festival, Humboldt is home to the highly acclaimed West Tennessee Regional Art Center (www.wtrac.tn.org) displaying art work from local, regional, and nationally known artists. Also located in the same building with the Chamber and the Art Center is the Strawberry Festival Museum, home of a collection of artifacts and memorabilia from Humboldt’s grandeur history that dates back to the early 19th century. “Make Humboldt Your Destination…Where All Business is Big Business!”
3538 E Mitchell Street/Hwy. 152 E, Humboldt, TN 38343;(731) 784-8100; Fax: (731) 784-2696; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.crownwinery.com
Our vineyards stretch to the south and west and create a stunning backdrop to our Tuscany-style villa. The winery is a unique combination of necessity, science, and renewable energy. The wine production and storage area is built into the hill, which provides natural cooling through the heat of the Tennessee summers. A large solar system generates power to this building and the connecting villa, which provides a majestic haven for weddings and private parties as well as the traditional tasting room and retail area. Wine tasting and tours are available. Located in HRH Vineyards in Humboldt City Limits – one minute off Hwy. 45 Bypass. Summer hours: Tues.-Sat. 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Sun. 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. Winter hours: (Jan.-Mar.) Sun.-Thurs. open by appointment only. Call (731) 784-4666. Open Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
The Ned R. McWherter West Tennessee Cultural Arts Center
Located at 314 East Main Street in Downtown Jackson, officially it is known as the Ned R. McWherter West Tennessee Cultural Arts Center. Locals simply call it “The Ned,” and know it is the place to go to see the finest musical and stage acts available in an intimate, high-technology equipped performing arts theatre. Advanced technology provides a facility that is of the highest quality with a staging area of over 2,200 square feet, an orchestra pit capable of seating large instrumental ensembles, and an advanced pulley system allowing any type stage production. Special lighting for the theatre can be created and a superior sound system backs performers with absolutely perfect acoustics. Other facilities include nicely appointed restrooms, a box office and adjacent off-street parking is available. In addition to a 440-seat, state-of-the-art performing arts theatre, the Cultural Center houses an art gallery in the lobby for traveling and local exhibits. Gallery space is available for receptions, weddings, seminars, meetings, and dinners. Live shows have featured a wide variety of musical and stage stars, including Kathy Mattea, Nickel Creek, Don McLean, Leon Russell, Marc Cohn, Jim Brickman, “Riverdance” virtuoso Eileen Ivers, Jim Brickman, Hal Holbrook, and Jennifer O’Neill. For rental information please contact: Diann P. Robinson, Administrator of Cultural Arts 731–425-8397 or Mirasol Fitzgerald, Recreation Specialist 731-425-8396. For more information about the Ned, call (731) 425-8395 or email email@example.com
Beech River Cultural Center and Museum
26 Broad St., Lexington, TN 38351; (731) 967-0306
This museum focuses on the area’s reformation through the paleo area up to the end of World War II (includes World War I, the Civil War, Korean Conflict and Vietnam Vets displays.) There are exhibits depicting life of early settlers and a life sized scale of a cabin built with the logs of the first homestead in Henderson County. Open Fri. and Sat. 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Sun. 1-4 p.m.
Located near Jackson, TN; Mailing address: 4707 Steam Mill Ferry Rd., Medon, TN 38356; (731) 935-2209; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.brittonlane1862.madison.tn.us
Restored Civil War log cabin, used as field hospital by both the Blue and the Grey during the bloody four hour Battle of Britton Lane which occurred Sept. 1, 1862. Cabin is located on part of the original battlefield. A stately monument marks the mass grave of Confederate soldiers. Free admission. Take Exit 76 off I-40, follow Hwy. 223 through Denmark. Turn left on Britton Lane Road. Look for signs. Approximately 10 miles from I-40.
Big Black Creek Historical Association
Guided tours of historical sites within the Big Black Creek Historical Area of western Madison and eastern Haywood Counties including the communities of Woodland, Leighton, Denmark, and Mercer are available. Sites include Woodland Baptist Church and Denmark Presbyterian Church, both on the National Register of Historic Places, various cemeteries including a Confederate burial trench at Hays Chapel, homestead sites, Leighton and Booker Knob School, Britton Lane Battlefield, Estanaula Landing on the Hatchie River, Denmark, Mercer and Big Black Creek. Tours tailored to your interests and schedule. For more info, call (731) 427-7897 or (731) 668-1070.
3717 Elvis Presley Blvd., Memphis, TN 38116; (800) 238-2000 or (901) 332-3322; Website: www.elvis.com
Take your family on the ultimate rock ‘n’ roll pilgrimage to Elvis Presley’s Graceland in Memphis. See Graceland mansion, Elvis’ cars and custom jets, and three new, limited-time exhibits just for 2012. To start planning your trip today, visit Elvis.com for a free online travel planner.
20945 Hwy 22 N, Parker’s Crossroads, TN 38388 ; (731) 968-1191; Website: www.parkerscrossroads.org
Located I-40, Exit 108, Parker’s Crossroads is the site of the famous December 31, 1862 battle by Confederate General N.B. Forrest. A free self-guided tour brochure is available at the Visitors Center. Driving tour takes approximately one hour. Walking trails wheelchair accessible. Visitors Center open daily 9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Closed Christmas Day.
Hwy. 22, Parkers Crossroads, TN 38388; (731) 968-1191; Website: www.parkerscrossroads.org
Performances are posted on the web site. The amphitheater is located 1/2 mile north of I-40 Exit 108 on Hwy. 22 in the Parkers Crossroads City Park.
535 Tennessee Ave S, P.O. Box 128; Parsons, TN 38363-0128; (731) 847-6358; Fax: (731) 847-9272; Website: www.cityofparsons.com
From the earliest days and the first settlers to current times, the Parsons Regional Museum draws from the past to tell future generations the story of our progress and achievements. The genealogy room, with a computer link to multiple national reference resources, in-house reference library of local history and collection of oral histories gathered from some of Decatur County’s oldest residents is an incredible storehouse of information.
Pickwick Landing State Resort Park
116 State Park Road; Pickwick Dam, TN 38365; 731-689-3149 or 800-250-8615
Located on Hwy. 57 at Pickwick Dam. this 1,533 acre park on Pickwick Reservoir offers a full-service marina, three public boat ramps, a 124-room inn and restaurant with conference and meeting facilities, 10 cabins, and a 18-hole championship golf course.
460 Ozier Rd., Pinson, TN 38366; (731) 988-5614; Website: www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/PinsonMounds/
Area consists of at least 15 earthen mounds on over 1,100 acres. Facilities include a modern museum, picnic shelters, playground, six miles of hiking trails with a boardwalk along the Forked Deer River and a 32-person group camp for overnight stay. Park grounds open until dusk daily. Museum hours are: Mon.-Sat. 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Sun. 1-5 p.m.
495 Main St., Savannah, TN 38372; (800) 552-3866; Website: www.tourhardincounty.org
Located in downtown Savannah, the museum has displays of items concerning the river and its influence on the heritage of the Tennessee Valley. Here, exhibits chronicle prehistoric times, life of the Mississippian mound builders the tragic story of the “Trail of Tears,” the Civil War on the River, the Golden Age of Steamboats, and the Tennessee River today. A replica of the world famous “Shiloh Effigy Pipe” is the central display item. Open Mon.-Sat. 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. 1-5 p.m. Admission.
Scotts Hill Heritage Collection
85 Hwy 14 S, Scotts Hill, TN 38374; (731) 549-3175;Fax: (731) 549-2344
Collection of historic photographs and historic finds on display in lobby of city hall that depict Scotts Hill street scenes from 1890s to 1970s. Some items are on loan from local individuals that portray tidbits of history of the area. Some items are held on rotating basis.
Historic Doe Creek School & Cemetery
2330 Doe Creek Rd., Scotts Hill, TN 38374; (731) 549-3175
Located 3 miles south of Scotts Hill on Doe Creek Rd, the site contains what is believed to be one of the oldest, if not the oldest, still standing one room school in the state. It was constructed from hand-hewn popular logs. It dates back to the mid-1800s. Several Union and confederate soldiers are buried in the cemetery. The school has newly been renovated and is hoped be placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The McNairy County Historical Museum
114 N Third St., Selmer, TN 38375; (731) 646-0018
The historic Ritz Theater Building provides the perfect showplace to display items of the county’s history. The Museum has a unique layout with a large center gallery that displays various aspects of life in the early McNairy County. There are seven side rooms that offer a different way of viewing the history of the county. There are the School Room, the Civil War Room, the Church Room, the Healing Arts Room, and the Business and Agriculture Rooms. Museum hours are Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun. 1-4 p.m., other times by appointment. Groups are welcome and the museum is handicapped accessible.
Rockabilly Highway Murals
Selmer, TN 38375
Commissioned by Arts in McNairy, Jackson Arts Council, Tennessee Arts Commission as well as the McNairy County Regional Alliance and Selmer Business Alliance, Selmer is now home to two beautiful murals painted by Nashville artist Brian Tull. These public art landmarks were created in conjunction with the naming of the Rockabilly Highway. Fifty-five miles of U.S. Highway 45 between Madison County (Jackson, TN) and McNairy County (Selmer, TN) to the Mississippi state line were officially named Rockabilly Highway on March 26, 2008. Selmer’s Rockabilly Highway Murals are a celebration of Rockabilly Music and West Tennessee’s musical heritage.
1055 Pittsburg Landing Rd. (Highway 22 between Tennessee 57 and US 64); Shiloh, TN 38376; (731) 689-5696; Website: www.nps.gov/shil
For two days, April 6 and 7, 1862, Civil War troops clashed in the fields and woods near Pittsburg Landing in the first major battle in the war’s western theater. When the battle ended, General Grant had pushed Southern troops back to their base at Corinth, Miss. The battlefield features 152 monuments, 229 cannons, and more than 450 historic tablets. The battlefield tour starts at the visitor center where exhibits and a brief film provide an introduction to the battle. The Park will host several special events through October 2010 that will offer visitors a unique look at civilian life in and around Pittsburg Landing in the 1860s; infantry, artillery, and cavalry tactical demonstrations; and a glimpse of the military camp life shared by thousands of Civil War soldiers. The Visitor Center/museum/bookstore is open every day, except December 25, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Shiloh Indian Mounds National Historic Landmark
Shiloh National Military Park, Hwy. 22, 1055 Pittsburg Landing Rd. (between Highway Tennessee 57 and US 64); Shiloh, TN 38376; (731) 689-5696
Located on the bluff overlooking the Tennessee River, the Shiloh Indian National Historic Landmark is the largest late prehistoric Mississippian mound in the Tennessee River Valley, and one of the largest mound groups of the National Park Service in the country. The famed Shiloh Effigy Pipe was discovered here in the 1890s and a replica is currently on display in the Tennessee River Museum in downtown Savannah.
830 Everett Blvd.; Union City, TN 38261; 877-885-5455; 731-885-5455; E-mail: email@example.com; Website: www.discoveryparkofamerica.com
Opening October 2013,the Discovery Park of America will offer visitors a world-class educational and entertainment experience with more than 70,000 SF of exhibits focused on nature, science, technology, history, and art. The centerpiece of the park is a 100,000-square-foot building that will showcase ten exhibit galleries: Children’s Exploration, Energy, Enlightenment, Military, Native Americans, Natural History, Regional History, Science/Space/Technology, and Transportation. In addition, a Special Exhibit Gallery will feature travelling exhibits. The Center’s multi-story atriums will be filled with exhibits that invite visitors to open their minds to a greater understanding and appreciation of our world…past, present and future. Highlights include a theater simulation of the 1811-12 earthquakes that shaped the land in this region as well as a planetary tour in the starship theater; a 20,000-gallon aquarium revealing the underwater life of Reelfoot Lake; a 60-foot replica of a human body with a 30-foot slide; Dinosaurs, fossils, Native American artifacts, military equipment, vintage automobiles, and dozens more hands-on experiences for children. The 50-acre site will offer visitors a variety of experiences including a water feature that bisects the site, flowing north to south. Originating at the circa-1800s gristmill, the water feature includes waterfalls and bridges as well as extensive landscaping. Japanese, European and American gardens will allow visitors to connect with nature and learn about plants and flowers from around the world; log cabins, farm buildings and equipment, and family items providing a glimpse into rural life in the 1800’s; a 100-year old church as well as a train station with a locomotive and various cars; and a salute to American’s independence including a replica of the Liberty Bell.